CGS sponsors an 8-week, paid internship for college and high school students who have completed their junior year and transitioning veterans. At least five interns to be mentored by CGS employees and or clients will be selected to work alongside carefully selected CGS employees. Participating mentors are eager to organize stimulating professional and educational experiences for each intern. The internship program hopes to stimulate interns to consider a career and future full time employment with CGS or other companies after completion of academic study.
SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The purpose of the CGS SIP is to provide students and transitioning veterans an avenue to develop skills necessary for entry into jobs leading to careers and stability in the professional business environment. Each intern will be assigned a mentor who will provide guidance on strategic career path development within a context of exposure to the challenges of meeting day to day work world challenges. This experience will give them greater confidence as they seek entry into professional life and development of a career.
BENEFITS of CGS SIP
The Computer Geeks SIP
provides each intern with:
- opportunities to obtain specific skills necessary for professional development and realization of aspirations
- paid hands-on work experience in a real-world professional environment
- chances to test academic theory and applicability of prior training in real-world professional situations
- networking and relationship building with professionals at several levels (management, senior-level, & mid-career)
- professional and personal enrichment based on interactions with CGS employees and other participating government/contractor mentors within the program
- exposure to how CGS serves its government and private sector customers
Everyone must have
- personal & educational interest in Information Technology, Business, Engineering, Office Administration, Marketing, Retail Sales, Facilities Management, Data Networking, Human Resources, Telecommunications, and Information Services
- ability to dedicate 8 consecutive weeks of full time participation with the SIP
High School Graduates must
- have parents’ permission to participate in the program
- have completed at least three years of high school
- be in good academic standing
College Students must
- be pursuing an Undergraduate degree (Associate or Bachelor’s) at an accredited institution
- have completed at least 2 semesters of a collegiate program
- have a declared major
- be in good academic standing with your university or college
possess U.S. Citizenship
- must be transitioning from service in Afghanistan or Iraq (more next page)
- have education or skills related to Information Technology, Business, Engineering, Office Administration, Marketing, Retail Sales, Facilities Management, Data Networking, Human Resources, Telecommunications, and Information Services.
What does an intern do?
The CGS Summer Internship Program is designed to attract outstanding students and develop their skills and knowledge under the guidance of experienced professionals. SIP prepares students and transitional veterans for a variety of professional support services and information technology related occupations. The CGS Summer Internship Program will incorporate a mix of formal training, developmental on-the-job assignments, research assignments, workshops, seminars, and networking opportunities that are associated with professional success and personal growth. All CGS Summer Internship positions are available within the Washington, DC region.
Where does and intern work?
Interns are assigned to work with mentors in the Washington DC National Capital Region and attend workshops at the Double Tree Hotel in Arlington, Virginia.